To honor the feast day of St. Nicholas, here are 5 interesting facts about the man. The actual man. Not the myth. Not the legend.
1. He was a Greek born around 270, in what is now the country of Turkey.
2. After his wealthy parents died, he spent his entire inheritance to serve the sick and the needy.
3. He was exiled and imprisoned for his faith under the persecution of Emperor Diocletian.
4. He died on December 6, 343, which is why this is his feast day.
5. He served the church as a Bishop, in which position he attended the Council of Nicaea. And yes, he slapped the arch-heretic Arias, who was teaching against the divinity of Christ, and thus denying the Trinitarian nature of God.